Thursday, June 10, 2010

Whaaaaaat?

Two days in a row - dare I say a miracle has occurred?

I am soaking up the last full day of school - well my kids have school and I have the house to myself for the last full day until September 1st. I've done laundry, checked facebook, emailed, updated our calendar, put dishes away, made a grocery list, dusted, organized and pitched things the kids have already brought home...etc. I feel like I'm nesting in preparation for what is called summer vacation - but is certainly not a vacation.

Vacation: (n) the suspension of work, study, or other activity usually used for rest, recreation or travel.

Hmmm... Let's break this down, shall we?

Suspension of work...um - not a chance. There is plenty of work to do around here on a daily basis and our kids are on notice that their summer chores begin Monday in addition to the regular ones the are responsible for throughout the year. Dad still has to work...Mom still works around the house... there is really no such thing as a vacation from work. But - often it is work that makes life rewarding and memorable.

Suspension of other activity: School - ok I suppose it is a vacation from the practice of going to school but I'll be darned if we don't all continue to learn lessons this summer. After all most of the important things we learn in life are learned outside of a classroom. I shall embrace the "vacation" from being homework enforcer and bedtime nazi...and assignment notebook signer...etc. My hope is to try and inspire my younger child to achieve, and inspire my older to love that she is an achiever and keep reaching for the stars.

REST? I certainly hope there is some rest - but no one made great memories resting. My hope is that this summer is a summer of abundant life and memory making as we enjoy work, recreation, and a little travel. I hope at the end of August I am exhausted beyond my wildest dreams, and can fall asleep the night before school starts again knowing I did all I could to make it a memorable, fun, and happy summer for my family and friends. I will take a nap September 1.






No comments: