Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Jiejie & Gēgē

 JieJie (sounds like: Jeh-Jeh) means older sister; and Gēgē (sounds like guuh-guuh) means older brother in mandarin Chinese. When Grace was at New Day we sent her a care package including a small photo album with pictures of our family so that she could begin to learn our faces. She was taught that Maddie was "Jiejie" and Jake was "Gēgē", and she understood that and it stuck.

When we told people we were adopting and starting almost all over with a toddler we got a variety of comments. A few people asked if we had lost our minds because we were "free" from diapers, bottles, babysitters, and tantrums. There were times before we brought Grace home when I wondered how crazy it would be to have two teenagers and a toddler. It sounds like the makings of a reality show that could rival Duck Dynasty, and somedays it would - lemmetellya. I wondered how our teenagers would handle having a new sister. A sometimes very needy, attention sucking, sometimes sickly little sister. When you adopt a little one life tends to become all about that little one for a while. It just does. It's a full-time-job attaching to a new child and incorporating them into your family, especially when that little one bounces from doctor to doctor and hospital and so on and so forth.

We decided early on that we would sacrifice and do what we had to do to be able to take the older kids to China. Minutes into "gotcha day", almost 4 months ago now (holysmokes), we agreed it was worth every single cent it cost to take them. It was a lot of cents. 

Jiejie and Gēgē are exceptional with Grace. They can be downright nasty to one another at times, but they pour all of their love and affection into this very tiny girl. I've been proud of our older kids many times. We've rejoiced over excellent report cards, strike-outs, championships, winning baskets, touchdowns, masterpieces, performances, and all of the things that make parents proud of their kids. 
But, seeing them love this little one...every other proud moment pales in comparison. 
They somehow make even unpleasant things tolerable, 
and they knew how to make her laugh on the day when her whole world as she knew it, ended.

 They smother her with kisses, and snuggles...


They insisted that *they* be the one's to walk her home to her waiting family...
They were ever-present hospital visitors stopping at nothing to make her smile.




++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Today they left us...
 but not without a hundred kisses and a dozen "bye-bye's",
and a few giggles. 

 And then there was one.  
Waving & blowing kisses

We miss them already. It sure is quieter. It sure is cleaner...ahem. I have promised to surrender the tiny Chinese girl upon their re-entry. I'm sure I'll find something to do. It will be hard, but for them I'd lasso the moon. 

Happy first day    Good luck    May God be with you my older babies on your school year. Remember who you are, remember whose you are, and practice kindness, humility, and grace. I dare say, there are fewer harder place to do that than in a middle/high school. Work hard and use every single drop of what God has given you to fulfill your purpose. No one is cheering you on more than we are. 

And if you want me to come and have lunch with you I'll bring you whatever you want. Just say the word...




No comments: