Thursday, October 14, 2010

Special

I have fallen off the blogging wagon. In my defense, I've worked full time for almost a month. That leaves evenings for catching up on life on an "as needed" basis.

Mid September, I was asked to consider filling a vacancy in Special Ed at a local elementary school until a permanent teacher was hired and up to speed. I gasped because I had previously about 5.5 hours of special ed experience. To say I felt ill-equipped is the understatement of the year. I was told it could be 1-2 weeks and if I could commit to a two day trial, I could see how I liked it. Other teachers I have worked with encouraged me to take the job so, I committed to two days.

By 11:00am on the first day I marched myself into the Principals office and said "Please assign me to however many days you need me. I can do this."

Here are some things I've learned from my days as a special ed. teacher:

  1. They don't call it "Special Ed" because the kids are "special". The kids I worked with have the same basic needs as every other kid: They need to feel safe. They need to feel loved. They need to learn. They may learn differently and need to practice different strategies to learn...they may express love and affection differently and likewise need to receive it differently...their feeling of safety and security might be compromised by different scenarios than other kids... It's called Special Ed. because the people who teach these children are extraordinary people. They are special.
  2. Routine really is important to children. Setting a schedule and sticking to it promotes security for all children from birth on. Studies have shown it to be true across the board. There is comfort in routine.
  3. It's important to celebrate success and achievements. Kids do really well when their successes are noticed, appreciated and praised. It could be a sticker, an "atta girl", a high five...those things mean more to children than I ever realized.
  4. Kids need affection. This I already knew, and I'm a pretty affectionate person by nature with my own kids. The kids I worked with were VERY hands on kids. It was important to set appropriate boundaries with them, but it didn't take long for me to see that they thrived in an affectionate environment...some more than others.
  5. It matters to kids that you "like" them...and they can tell if you don't. Kids are not as easily fooled as one might imagine. Kids know the difference between people who put up with them because it's their job to - and people who authentically care about them and what happens to them.
Elenor Roosevelt said, "Women are like tea bags. You don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water." I learned I'm stronger than I thought, I can rely on my husband and kids to do things that until now - I handled, and best of all - I learned that I really love putting a touch of love on kids who don't expect it from a "sub". I didn't expect to fall in love with special ed. But I did.




No comments: