Tuesday, December 7, 2010

All for one

This is my 4th year being part of a team that directs our church's Christmas musical. I have been a vocal coach (coaching kids with singing solos), a drama director, and this year I'm lead director overseeing the whole sha-bang, as well as co-directing the drama with my brother.

People always look perplexed when they find out what I do each year with this musical. They don't have to say the words because their face says this: "Oh my. That's a lot to do. You're nuts. Why would anyone add more busyness to their life at Christmastime! You must really enjoy that kind of thing."

I do. I really, really do.

It's a lot of time, it's a lot of work, it's a lot of responsibility.
It's a lot.

To say I enjoy it, really isn't accurate. I don't enjoy feeling stress or pressure, but in some ways I thrive under it - it's how God made me. It's how I got through 4 years of college with a degree.

If you've ever worked with a group of people who are all vastly different from one another, obviously talented and gifted by God, and have witnessed the unmistakable purpose among them to carry out a God ordained task... you might know the joy that this show brings to me.

I have the privilege of serving with men and women who have given hours, and days worth of their time if not weeks - to make this Christmas Musical not just an entertaining 45 minute show...but an experience...a ministry...an outreach of love to dozens of families and over one hundred children.

Some of the people on this team don't even have children in the show. They serve because they love to. They serve because they have a gift and want to share it. They serve because it's an act of worship to the God who was born on Christmas in a manger. We serve together under the common belief that it's all worth it for "one". It's all worth it for one person to be touched with the love of Christ this Christmas and celebrate, maybe for the first time - what Christmas really is about.

So I wrote "my team" this week a little "pep rally" via email. I know from years past, that this week before the show is one that brings challenges and those challenges can easily rob us of our joy as we put on this musical.

"It is a humbling thing to put on a Christmas "show". I never want this to be about the "show". It's about Jesus, it's about His Love & His birth... it's about touching people who are fighting battles we know nothing about during a season when people are "supposed to be rejoicing" but for many reasons are not. I know God uses this musical to reach out to people who are a little softer this time of year and hopefully touch their heart and inspire life change. It's not something I take lightly...

I don't know who God will bring to Fox River this Sunday. But I believe that there will be someone who's life will be impacted and changed for the better. Quite honestly, I wouldn't do this if I didn't believe that. I get a little sad that all of this work is over with in a 45minute show. But, the touches of love each week, the scripture, the songs: rich in their message...those things are lasting. The message of the show: loving others with our actions and not just our words...the message of Christmas, of redemption, of reconciliation...of HOPE -- those truths will not return void."


It's worth it all for one.







No comments: