Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Spooning

My dog is my friend. Which, is why I'm reluctant to give up on her as some in our family have or are considering (see previous blog post from July).

She is overly affectionate with guests which is the first thing I would change about her if I had a magic wand. She gets into the garbage...which is the second thing I'd change believe it or not...and she occasionally runs away (always returns or at least goes to the same place so we can get her). That's the third thing I'd change. All are behaviors I'm certain are partially my fault and partially the fault of her being, well...a black Lab.

Today I think I may have fallen in love with her all over again.

I returned home after being gone a couple hours and she was laying in the family room in the sunshine pouring through the window. She didn't charge as I entered with groceries. She didn't become neurotic at the sight of one of us back with her where we belong. She just laid there and stared at me. So I hung up my coat. Came back - she stared at me again. Then this happened:

Me: Hi Libby

Libby: (trembles and thumps her tail and puts her head low to the floor)

I smirked and walked towards her stopping about 4-5 feet from her and laid down on my side on the carpet (it's only a month old so it still smells more like new carpet than "dog").

Libby got up, slowly stretched and walked towards me, nuzzled her head into my chest and proceeded to lay down with her back towards my chest.

We spooned.

We spooned for about 10 minutes.

It occurred to me that this would be a kodak moment..but I don't think I'll need a picture to remember how sweet this was. After a couple moments, I thought maybe I would get up. After all, I had given her 3 or 4 solid minutes of spooning. Then this happened:

Me: You're such a sweet puppy.

Libby: (takes a deep breath in, and exhales it all out).

So I stayed. I spooned with my dog, on the floor, in the middle of the day.

It was so worth it.

No comments: