After she got in the car we talked about it briefly and smiled as we imagined that it could hang in Grace's room someday. Then her jaw dropped.
"Mom - there are Chinese symbols in the corners!"
Me: "Oh? Cool!"
Her eyes became saucers as she spoke the next words:
"Mom - the symbols mean GRACE"
Me: "No they don't... No they don't!" I try not to drive off the road.
"Oh my gosh...I made this months ago - I picked the Chinese character that meant "Grace" before we even knew we were adopting. AND I picked pink instead of blue!"
Me: Speechless. *trying not to pass out and driving.
![]() |
| This is the Chinese character for "Grace" in Mandarin. |
At the exact time she was creating a pink, Chinese lantern, covered in dragonflies and "Grace", we were praying daily that God would lead us and direct us about adopting. She had no idea at the time she made this project that we would ultimately choose a girl to adopt or that her name would be Grace.
I can't help but think about our Grace. She is all over the masterpiece that is our life as a family. Years before we knew she would join our family, God knew. He has been planning, carving, and creating our family to be ready for her all along.
And some day, this pink lantern will grace the room of a little girl named Grace.

4 comments:
This is an amazing story. I'm glad you have it in writing. We think we are going to remember everything, but we don't and this will be a VERY cool one to share with your little Grace!
This has made me cry Amy! God is really leading your family in amazing ways, and I simply cannot wait to meet your Grace!
a sigh and a smile from all the way over in China!
Amazing story....
The upper part of the character means -- owing to,cause,reason. The bottom part, if you looks hard and use your imagination, it is the picture of a heart and it means heart -- you can see the veins from left to right...So 'grace' is not a thought from your mind but it is from the bottom of your heart.
Both of my kids have this character in their Chinese name.
Post a Comment