Sunday, April 1, 2012

Exceptional

Almost 16 years ago I met someone exceptional.

I was 20 he was 26.

I was a child. He was an adult. An exceptional adult.

We were set up by more than half of our church congregation including my parents, and his brother and sister-in-law. We have several witnesses of a red faced young woman being handed a business card (yes. a business card) by slightly nervous, much older man.

"Everyone seems to think we'd be perfect for each other. What do you think?"

"Um...(examines business card with 3 contact numbers) Ok - You can call me."

And so it began...hours of phone conversations...dreaming out loud...and before long...

We just knew. The search was over.

Today is not the anniversary of that special day....May 26th is.

But, it is the birthday of that exceptional man. So, it is a very special day for me.

You see, his life has so shaped mine in the 16 years I've been part of it. I was still very much a child when we met, fell head over heels in love, and hopped on a very fast track for a new life. We were engaged 7 months after the day we met, married 9 months after that, and within 15 months of marriage had our first child. Baby number two was born 18 months after baby number 1. It was kinda crazy. There were times when, while I was still becoming an adult and figuring out who I really was...I was kinda crazy.

Until my dying day, I will give God alone credit for who I am today. However, I know that He used my husband to help craft me into the woman I am at this moment. God brought someone exceptional into my life when I needed him the most. God has used my husband in many ways to challenge me, love me, and show me what it really means to love well. It hasn't always been easy. It's far from perfect - but it is in many ways exceptional.

I will always be grateful for the husband he is - even thought I may not always seem grateful. I admire and love the kind of father he is to our children. I'm proud of how he lives out his faith in Christ. I've never been more honored to be his wife and embark on an undeniable journey of faith to the other side of the world -  to find, and bring home our third child. I can't wait to watch him love her too.

Happy Happy Birthday, my love. I celebrate who you are, who you are becoming, and all that we have to look forward to in our journey together. What an adventure it has been - what an adventure awaits us.

I still think you're exceptional.

No comments: