Friday, October 5, 2012

Progress and Bravery


We have passed our home study (again), and it (the home study update) is soon to arrive so that we can send it off to the Immigration office in Texas. Our I-800 application has been on hold (and we avoided an additional $340!!), but we are days away from sending our last piece to get I-800 (immigration) approval. Other documents are either done, or in process as well. Once those documents are state certified they will go to our agency in Oregon and then (wait for it) - they will go as one "Sprengel Dossier" to CHINA. Once it is logged in, in China, we will receive a LID (log in date). Then, friends, we will get a referral (a profile of an adoptable little girl age 0-3).

Let me break that down for you...

We could have her file. See Her face. Know about Her...by Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving.

It's a sneeze away.

I had a moment of affirmation the other day while collecting documents from our local police department. I arrived to pick up our re-done, notarized, criminal check with our new address 4 minutes after the police department office closed for the day. I knew that I wouldn't get another chance to get there during the week because they close every day before I'm done working (and Robert was out for a few days). The officer was very ready to leave. The office was closed. She was not happy to see me. So I did what any mother would do.

I asked them to please make an exception because these were time sensitive documents that I need to bring my daughter home.

She gave me the look. Reminded me again that they were closed.

I brought out the "please have mercy on me, officer, this is for my child" eyes.

She totally caved.

As I walked to my car with my documents in hand and a smile on my face, it hit me.

I'm already her Momma.

It's not in my nature to push someone who obviously is not in the mood to be pushed. I'm not often brave enough to ask a police officer for a favor I don't deserve.

But for my child - I'm all kinds of brave.

Thanksgiving could really be something to behold.

No comments: