Thursday, September 13, 2012

The best is yet to be...

"Grow old with me, the best is yet to be."

I didn't always believe that phrase. I didn't believe it a year ago.
But I believe it now.

Today is our 15th wedding anniversary. We married as teenagers - weird hey? (ahem. JK)

A lot has happened in 15 years. A lot has happened in this 15th year.

My husband is definitely not the man I married.
I'm for sure not the woman he signed up for.
We've changed a lot. A lot. For the better.

I hope 15 years from now we can say the same thing about each other. We should always be growing and changing and learning to love better. We should always be hearing what matters to the people we love most - and do those things. Especially when it isn't our nature or our love language. That's what Love is. Sometimes it's hard to do that in a marriage because although the love is there - we don't always like each other some days. And for good reason...we are sinful, selfish people who do dumb things.

And so are you.

We aren't perfect. We have our issues. Every marriage has issues. Our marriage is a living example of "opposites attract" in many ways. In other ways we are alike. Some things over the years have become more "alike". Other things remain opposite - and that's ok.

We have had monumental moments pass us by already. Pregnancies, births, firsts with our children, a puppy, holidays, Disney World... there have been times when I feel like all the really great stuff is in the past. Maybe you can relate.

But... it's not.

This 15th year we decided to leave our comfort zone and say "I will" to God. We have seen amazing works that are undeniably God's hand. We have stories upon stories to tell of His faithfulness.

Imagine if we had always really lived that way for 15 years. Imagine the stories we would have.

So this anniversary I don't just celebrate the exceptional man who married me.
This anniversary I don't just cross off another tally mark at 15 and celebrate making it longer than many do.
This anniversary I celebrate that the best IS yet to be because we serve a God who makes beautiful things out of the dust. He makes beautiful things out of us.

Happy anniversary, Honey. Grow old with me ~ the best is really yet to be.

No comments: