Friday, July 23, 2010

Alleluia

Let it rain, let it rain, open the flood gates of heaven...

And so it rained and the flood gates were opened. Many people are struggling today with the flooding rains that poured mercilessly last night and into today. Houses are damaged...cars are watter logged...people are without power...etc.

My brother, who just purchased his first house, waited out the storm at a restaurant and then headed home. I was relieved when he txted that he was ok. Pictures and video footage showed so many people stuck...cars in holes...it looked like a nightmare and it looked dangerous. I don't know what I'd do without my brother - he is not just a brother but a best friend, a confidant, someone who 'gets me', someone who makes me laugh so hard I can't breathe, who shares my love for repetitive humor...he was the object of my first prayers as a child because I was a lonely only child who wanted nothing more than a sister :-) I remember finding out that the baby sister I was going to have was a boy. It wasn't that I didn't like boys, it was that I was too young to think that a boy could be both sibling and friend. I've never been more wrong.

It's a funny thing to have a brother 7 years younger. I spent many years annoying him and being annoyed by him, as a sister. I spent many hours babysitting him while our parents were out, as a care giver. I spent many hours in the audience of school concerts, plays and musicals, and graduations, watching with pride feeling close to what my parents felt. Still, I am partial to the hours I spend as a friend to my brother. I wouldn't trade him for the world's best sister. I wouldn't trade him for anything or anyone. God knew I needed him, and he needed me.

Last night, minutes after I was relieved he was home safe, my heart sank when he let me know his basement had flooded. I felt so helpless and disappointed for him. I know it's just a house, it's just carpet, it's just water... many others have life so much worse that it doesn't compare. But, he's my brother. He put a lot of money, time, and effort into making his house a home and he was almost finished. The basement is one of the best things about the whole house.

I've been proud of my brother for many things over the years. He is scary smart, kind, gifted musically, hilariously funny, an exceptional friend, outstanding uncle. I know his heart broke when he realized his basement was taking in water. I could hear it in his voice on the phone. I know he felt helpless, angry, disappointed, frustrated, sad, scared of what repairs would cost...

I was proud when he graduated high school as valedictorian. I was proud to watch him play the role of "Edmund" in "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" in college. I'm proud and honored to lead worship with him at our church. When I checked facebook this morning I saw that he posted a video. We are alike in many ways - so I know his posting this video was a way for him to cope with this situation and witness in a public way how he was able to cope. I think of all the things I'm proud of, I'm most proud that he chose to post this video in light of how he is coping with a flooded basement. "I will sing of your mercy that leads me through valley of sorrow to rivers of joy...Alleluia".

When I found out our daughter would be a big sister I was at first hoping she would have a little sister. Clothes could be re-used...girl toys shared...rooms shared, etc. Every once and a while I see little glimpses of a friendship between my daughter and her younger brother. No one makes her laugh like our son. No one makes our son laugh like his sister. Don't get me wrong, they drive each other crazy - they hurt each other's feelings - they make each other cry. But, someday I believe and I hope for the day they say,

"My best friend is my brother. No one makes me laugh like he does."
"My sister is my best friend. She's always there for me."

No one makes me laugh like my brother, he's always there for me. Someday maybe we will laugh about the day the basement flooded...until then "I will sing of your mercy that leads me to valleys of sorrow to rivers of Joy...Alleluia"






2 comments:

Jason said...

I. Love. You.

You are the best. Thanks for being my best friend.

I can't really say anything else; I must have something in my eye.

My Story's Fingerprints said...

Awww, what a sweet post!! :) I think it's so great that you and your brother are so close!

P.S. Told you I checked :)