
Our dog Libby just turned 6. We forgot/missed her birthday on July 11th. I'm sure she doesn't know, but I do. Birthdays are big for me...even for the dog. I feel bad.
Libby likes routine. She knows when it's getting close to feeding time in the morning. She goes outside, and comes in to breakfast and water. Then, if it's summer I usually take my laptop and coffee and go to the living room to catch up on the emails, calendar, etc. Every day she comes and sits and stares at me until I start to pet her. When I stop, she uses her nose to scooch her head underneath my arm, wrist, and finally my hand until I pet her some more. This repeats for several minutes. Sometimes like today I'll look her straight in her big brown eyes and talk to her. I swear she understands me better than some people do. Here was our conversation today:
Me: "You come in here every day and just wait for me to pet you don't you."
Libby: (ears go down, she scoots closer to me)
Me: "I bet this is the best part of your whole day"
Libby: (raises her one paw and rests it on the arm I'm using to pet with)
Me: "I'm sorry I haven't taken you for a...you know...(I can't say the 'w' word) but it's been so hot and icky out. I promise I will when it gets cooler"
Libby: (rests her head on my knee and looks up with big puppy brown eyes)
Me: "I'm sorry we forgot your birthday"
Libby: (shakes with her paw)
Me: "I love you"
Libby: (sneezes)
(I'm certain that means I love you too)
Of the people in our house I was the one who wanted her the most. She makes me laugh, she keeps me company, she knows to come and snuggle with me when I'm sick or not feeling well. No matter how ignored she becomes amidst our busy, crazy, over scheduled life - she loves us all unconditionally as best as dogs can love.
She also drives me crazy. She has nearly driven Robert to the brink of pet-acide, and the kids hardly consider her needs before their own. She depends on us for her needs and most of the time they aren't met in a timely fashion. So...she has discovered all sorts of ways to capture our attention...
Libby goes in the garbage and drags it across the floor, eats things she shouldn't, occasionally soils the carpet, gives far too much attention to guests for my liking and theirs for that matter, and runs over to visit her friend Rocky a couple times a month without permission. In fact, she acts more like a puppy now than she did as a puppy!
I for sure I have the most compassion for her. I see her naughty behaviors and know it's likely due to the fact she's bored, hasn't been walked enough, or loved on enough. We meet her basic needs of food and water without fail - but we are gone a lot and regular play time for her is rare most days. So I'm quicker then others to forgive her, and more likely to excuse what she does because it takes a village or at least a family of four to raise a high energy dog. Some days are (as the girl says) an epic fail.
Like forgetting her birthday - epic fail. She doesn't know she has one, but I do. She doesn't know she's 6 now, but I do. I remember how little and chubby she was when we brought her home and how her hind end would get stuck climbing over the things in the yard. I remember how quickly she would get tired out and fall asleep on my lap. I remember meeting her for the first time and knowing that she belonged with me.
I wanted her the most, I probably love her the most. She's my only "brown eyed girl". So she's going to get a walk today in the heat (a short one) because I love her.
Happy belated birthday Libby, I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment