Galatians says "But the fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control."
My heart has been heavy. I asked God once to break my heart for what breaks His and I am convinced He heard and answered quickly. Now, I suppose if I wept over everything that grieves the Lord I would not stop weeping long enough to take a breath. Surely there is more to weep over than what is currently weighing on my heart, but at the moment it's heavy enough.
People so close they feel like family, are in the midst of weighing options on cancer treatment and debating things like quality of life vs. length of life. A nearby family just lost a husband and father of three at age 47 to a blood clot. Fine one minute - gone the next. Cancer, job loss, financial uncertainty, divorce, sickness, death, loss...and the list goes on and on. It's enough to bring me down to the depths - and down on my knees crying out to the Lord and asking "where is the good".
I'm not saying there isn't good around me. I am blessed with a healthy and loving family, amazing friends, laughter, and more than I need. Without family and friends life would be unbearable. Those are the things that make the slogan "life is good" believable.
Truth be told, though - life isn't really good. Not without God. Life is full of disappointments, mistakes, regret, sin, sadness, loss, grief. The good of life, I believe, is a result of a God who is good. He is the source of joy, love, peace...etc. He is the one from whom all blessings flow, and the one who is worthy of all honor and praise.
So in the midst of feeling like the "good" of life gets harder and harder to find I am asked to sing a song so precious to my heart. Title: "You are good". Talk about bringing things back into focus...
"Your kindness leads me to repentence,
your goodness draws me to your side.
Your mercy calls me to be like You,
and your favor is my delight.
Every day I'll awaken my praise
and pour out a song from my heart...
You are Good, You are good
and your mercy is forever."
I don't believe in coincidences. I believe God is a very purposeful God. He showed Himself to be intentional when He created the world and when He created people. I believe that while I have had a heavy heart and wonder "where is the good??!!" He knew I needed to not just hear this song, but sing it for everyone else wondering the exact same thing.
It's true that people learn and retain things better after having taught it. Reminding others and myself that God is good seems like such a simple lesson. Some days nothing is more important than the basics: God is good and His mercy is forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment