Me? I always am sad to see them walk to the bus. Particularly today more than other years. Today was the last, first day of school for them in elementary school... together. Next Year the boy will probably be asleep when I drop the girl off at middle school...no picture together...no goofing around in the driveway with the other kids...it won't ever be the same again. If one gets hurt - the other won't be there in the same building...they won't wave to each other in the halls or at lunch or at recess. She won't even HAVE recess! It's the end of an era, and it makes me sad. It seems like I was just taking their picture on their first day of elementary school - together. I miss those kids.
So I busied myself, as I do every September 1st, with my girlfriends from school. Most, like me, miss their kids and feel a little melancholy. So we comfort each other and talk about our summers, and who they have for teachers...yadda yadda yadda. I'm so grateful for each of them and how they enrich my life.
I think somehow our kids know I miss them a lot on this first day. I waited with great anticipation for the bus to pull up, and when it finally did I sprang from my chair with my camera to video their first words about their day. Unfortunately, they were not as I imagined. She tattled on him because he embarrassed her on the bus...sigh. I think my "missing them" was slightly cured.
Maybe separate schools will be a good thing ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment