In some ways it's easier because it's not our first rodeo as parents. In some ways it's noticeably harder because by this age both of our older kids were speaking well and communicated easily and it's not so much that way with Grace. It is, however, in every way different. Not better, not worse, just different.
For you parent's out there you might wonder - how can it be so different? For you adoptive parents out there you might be fist pumping the air and saying "testify my sister!" For you soon-to-be or might-want-to-be adoptive parents out there…sit down and buckle up.
When you plan to adopt one of the requirements is education. Lots of it, because the experts know it's just different bringing a child into your home that you have not conceived, bonded with for 9 months in utero, and then fed one way or another after giving birth. Of course it's different. All of the things from holding to feeding to burping to being there at the birth are forming attachments and bonds from day one. You don't even really have to try that hard to bond with a child you give birth to or at the very least, adopt from the moment they are born if that is your story. Those first months caring for an infant by design are constantly bonding moments. So, we who adopt "older children" who have grown through the infancy stage having been cared for by a variety of people (who for one reason or another have "left" them); and have had experiences, that experts say, mold their foundational outlook on life and shape their feelings of security and trust, are strongly advised to parent these precious ones, differently - especially if our child has ever been in institutionalized care (aka orphanage). We have spent ours upon hours of education, information overload, have had discussions with said experts until we are convinced we absolutely know how to do this; and at the same time, are pretty sure that we are going to mess this child up despite how hard we try. Am I speaking to anybody?
For example, after 7 months home with us Grace still sleeps in a crib in our bedroom. Neither of our older kids slept with us that long. Maddie lasted 4 months, and we kicked Jake out after 4 days (he grunted and made goat noises in his sleep - you understand…). Why is she still there? Aren't we bonded *enough*? Why are we being such indulgent parents and coddling her? The thing is that when she awakens whether it's daytime or night time, the first thing she does is look and make sure she isn't alone. If she is alone she panics. I don't mean she cries a little to let us know she's awake and unhappy - I mean she.full.on.panics. Every day she naps for 50-60 minutes and wakes up and panics. The second she sees me come in the room she dives back down to her pillow in relief, drenched in tears after all 30 seconds of screaming (because I rush there from wherever I am in the house), and most often falls back to sleep clutching onto my finger for dear life. Sometimes I can slip away and she sleeps longer, sometimes she doesn't, but what is constant, is that it's obviously important to her *right now* that we are close. It's important to her that she doesn't feel alone, even though she's never really alone. It's important to me and to us that she learns that she is safe, and secure, and that we won't ever leave her. I don't know why she panics. I speculate on reasons why she panics, and they are good reasons! I don't know how many times she was ever alone in a room because she lived in a foster home with 20 other kids. She slept in a room with 2-3 other kids. She had never slept in a room alone in her entire life until she came home. So we are teaching her that even if she wakes up alone, we are close and we are coming. We will always always come. Someone is always in the room with her when she falls asleep. Always. That's what she needs right now.
The week prior to our meeting Grace she was in a hospital because she had pneumonia again. She was in a hospital a month before that. Two months before that, and a few months before that. She was in a hospital more times in 19 months than my entire family combined. I have no doubt that when her nanny was with her she felt safe. However, the last time she was hospitalized right before we came for her, she was in the ICU and in China nobody and no nanny can go there with a patient. So, while she wasn't technically alone - she may as well have been since no mama…no nanny…no consistent care-taker, no "loved one" was with her all the time. When we met Grace her diaper rash was like nothing I had ever seen in my life, and I've changed a lot of diapers. Her flesh was actually shredding, red, raw. It looked as if someone had set her down on hot coals. Of course I contacted New Day and they had tried to heal it as best they could in only the 36 hours she was there after being released from the hospital but it was so bad there wasn't much anyone could do quickly to heal what had taken a week to harm. Therefore, I don't think the overall care in the hospital ICU was top notch to say the least - but, they must have done well with her pneumonia since she was well enough to travel, and I'm thankful for that. My point is, I wonder if she laid there with no nanny, nurses in masks, strangers, scared in a dirty diaper which could not have been changed often. I wonder if she cried and cried, and then gave up believing it was pointless. You see, when you adopt a little one you don't get to know all of their "stuff". We are so blessed to know a lot because of her 11 months at New Day, but don't know much at all about the first 7 months of her life except she was very sick and had surgeries at 3 weeks old. She has spent weeks in hospitals throughout her life. Weeks with no mother, no consistent family to help her or comfort her. Just because she has a forever family now doesn't erase that from her history. We know that she has experienced several hugely traumatic life events, some with us - and some without us. Abandonment at only days old, surgery at weeks old, in and out of hospitals, institutionalized care (orphanage), removal from orphanage and caregivers, a cross-country move to New Day, subsequent hospitalizations and procedures, adoption (while wonderful, from her perspective is another major life change and the grieving of being removed from all of her New Day family was obvious), heart surgery… She fits the profile exactly that I found when gathering research from an adoption counseling site.
| "Children who have been exposed to loss, chronic stress, multiple incidences of stressful events, or a significantly stressful one-time events are more prone to sleep disturbances and difficulties. Literature describes the sleep-wake cycle as one of the systems that is vulnerable and easily impacted by stress or trauma. Even in the best orphanages, institutional life can be a “chronic stress” because of the infant-caregiver ratio. The impact that multiple losses, (for example – birth parent to orphanage to foster home, to adoptive family), can have on children can be traumatic. Even for those children who don’t have lasting sleep problems, many children have difficulty in the first few weeks because they are adjusting to a new time zone and experiencing a major and sometimes shocking change. |
And I'll miss it. |

2 comments:
Memories are the blessings of a generous God. Believe it or not I still treasure the memories of bouncing my little girl to bed with a silly song that she requested each night. Never did go down by herself - I wouldn't have it any other way. Love you and Thanks for these very special love letters.
Didn't have time to comment the other day when I read this for the first time....but I want to tell you what a blessing this was for me to read. Thank you! We just about have our Dossier ready to head to China, and have a LOI sent on a precious little one we hope to call our own - reading truths like this helps me so much right now! Your family is beautiful!
Stephanie
Post a Comment