I remember the call I had with our caseworker, Tiffany, when she called to tell me that we had our LID.
"You should be expecting to travel in about 6 months!"
My heart sank. 6 more months? We knew Grace had been sick. We knew this was preventing her from having the surgery she so desperately needed and 6 more months in Beijing air, living among many other sick children, battling cough and flu. It was too long and I was disappointed and scared.Tiffany asked, "Do you think her heart condition is time sensitive?"
Yes, absolutely. I know it is.
"Would you like to formally request that the remaining steps be expedited in light of her serious heart condition? I can't promise anything but we can ask and would need letters of recommendation from any cardiac and pediatric specialists you can find. Could you do that?"
5 days later the letters were on their way and we prayed and prayed and prayed.
Exactly three months from our LID, (and exactly 9 months ago) we met Grace outside the civil affairs office in her province. Every single step and request was approved. Every one. Grace never had her surgery in China, and probably wouldn't have in time.
She was running out of time.
I'm so glad it's behind us and I'm thankful to God that her surgery was here and was successful. I wouldn't trade being her Mama and being along side her during that experience for anything.
It never hurts to ask. We are the advocates for our children wherever they are, we are the experts on what is best for them ultimately. So, if you love a little one that you dream about on the other side of the world, or if you might some day - remember to ask. Be brave. Be bold.
It might change everything.

No comments:
Post a Comment