Monday, August 2, 2010

South Beach

I saw my friend Lori at church yesterday. "I lost 5 lbs this week!!!", she exclaimed. I knew she had been on vacation and since typically, vacations = weight gain I asked "HOW?!!".

She went on to tell me she and her husband had started the "South Beach" diet. I am familiar with this diet because when I wanted to lose my baby weight, the "Atkins" diet was popular. I looked at it, added whole grains...limited myself to lean protein and that is basically the "South Beach" diet. If I had marketed that, I'd be famous. I lost weight pretty quick and felt great after breaking myself of my sugar addiction...and the headache that comes from sugar withdrawal (which is about 3 days of misery).

I have been wanting to lose a little but more than that, break some bad habits that always creep up over the summer. Ice cream, custard...snacking on things that I know aren't the best for me...etc.

So, I decided that I would look at the "South Beach" diet and see for myself (again) how it would work. The first phase is the hardest by far: 2 solid weeks of sugar detox...they even recommend no fruit!!! WHAAAAAAAAAT? It's SUMMER. FRUIT IS CHEAP AND GOOD. Frutose will make it hard to break the addiction. I eat a lot of fruit. This will be the most difficult....but it's only 2 weeks. AND they say (they being the South Beach Diet gu-rus) that if you only have 10 lbs to lose you can skip phase 1. I could skip, but I don't think my results would be as dramatic...and I'm nothing if not dramatic ;-)

2 weeks from today is our son's 10th bday. I shall celebrate with a little cake and a little ice cream. :-) I'd say that's a pretty attainable goal.

Although I was already wishing for a muffin with my coffee by 10am today. Stay tuned!! 13 days to go...

No comments: