Monday, August 16, 2010

A Special Day


"Mom, what are we doing tomorrow that's special?"


This is what our son has asked me almost every night while we snuggle before bedtime. About half the time I can actually say something like "we are going to the pool..." or "_______ is coming over"...or "I was thinking about going to the zoo". The other half of the time I found myself thinking "what have I created in this child to foster this expectation that something special should even happen every day!!"

Well, he actually get's it from me. I like to look forward to things with great anticipation. I have been known to count down the days until birthdays, holidays, weddings, due dates, first days of school (more like the days of dread), and vacations.

Today is a special day in every way because it is his 10th birthday. He is now a decade old.

Unbelievable.

It was hard to believe when our daughter turned 10. It's ridiculous to believe our youngest has also. He's the baby. He's my baby.

He's also one of the only people who has truly surprised me in my entire life. First, I was completely shocked when he came on the scene (I don't mean his birth - I meant when the stick turned blue). I already had a baby, she was 10 months old. I was so not ready for another and I remember thinking "I love her so much, how in the world could I love another child as much?".
If you're a parent, you know the answer. God is love. He created all things. He created the ability and instinct in parents to multiply, not divide love for their children.

He also surprised me by how much I like him. I knew I would love him, he's my child. But I also really, really, like him. I didn't think I would like being a mom to a boy as much as being mom to a girl. The boys I knew were rough, wrestled all the time, had more dirt on their bodies than clothes, didn't hug much...you get the idea. When we found out we would be having a boy part of me was happy we would have both a girl and a boy, and part of me was nervous. I didn't know I would like having a boy. I was used to pink, flowers, delicate sweet smiles..and now had to change gears to rough and tumble.

God sent the perfect blend of boy to our family. Not only is he rough and tumble, but has always been a sweet snuggler, an endless kiss giver, a random hugger, a lover of babies, and the kid who just rests his arm or hand on you while watching TV or sitting in church. He is also a first responder. When anyone gets hurt or yells "Owwww!!!" he is first on the scene tenderly asking "Are you OK?!!"

Today I pray that the time goes slower these next 10 years. I pray that He knows without a shadow of a doubt how much he is loved by the God who has saved his soul and created him for relationship with Him. I know he knows he is loved by his Mom and Dad. I think he knows his sister loves him :-)

Happy birthday, buddy. I love you


No comments: