I took the Cipro, sent Robert and the kids to the store for supplies (water, food for Grace, pizza for dinner). She and I were hanging out and I started to feel funny. Real funny. I started itching. My face felt weird and I looked in the mirror. I was swelling. I was swelling fast and turning red. Soon there were hives and I was almost unrecognizable. I texted Robert. No answer. I texted Maddie. No answer. I texted Jake. No answer. I was terrified my throat would swell and Grace would be here alone. Finally they got my text and I told them what was going on and they started running from 5 blocks away. They must have sprinted because they were back here quick. By then I had taken 4 benedryl (100mg) and I was unrecognizable. It was really quite horrifying.
There is a clinic here in the hotel and we quickly went there, me scaring people left and right looking like something out of planet of the apes. At the clinic my blood pressure had dropped to 50/30. That's pretty bad right? My heart was beating irregularly and the gave me a shot of antihistamine in my caboose. After about an hour I started to become more stable and very sleepy. We went back to the room and I went straight to bed, hence no blog post Saturday.
Sunday morning was Mother's Day and I woke up groggy and still a little swollen but much improved from the night before. With all the antihistamine in me I slept really well and what do you know - my chest congestion improved as well.
We had breakfast and then we headed to the zoo. Guangzhou has the most beautiful zoo I've ever been to.
I was still feeling very foggy and weak so I didn't want to hold Grace while we walked around too much. This opened up a great opportunity for Robert to have some Daddy daughter time...
She has been slower to warm up to Robert than the rest of us and he has been very patient and gently wooing her day by day. We try to let him be the snack provider, the window watcher, and all things happy so that she feels safe with him too. It's working...
It may as well have been Father's Day because this Daddy's day was M-A-D-E.
Big brother is doing so well. I almost can't stand it.
Big sister is amazing as well...
Grace saw the prize and promptly threw it. She does that a lot. One day she'll appreciate it.
I started feeling human again after a while and a lot of water.
I was still a little swollen, but how could I let that ruin *this* Mother's Day? Not a chance.
I finally had all of my babies together within reach of me. It was great Mother's Day.
Grace wasn't the only daughter making memories with her Daddy...
Shortly after the scary snakes, Maddie found something to make her feel better.
It really is a gorgeous zoo and the animals were really active and entertaining.
I will certainly not forget this Mother's Day. The swelling, the healing, the animals, the zoo...































2 comments:
Oh Robert, the love on your face is visible all the way across the ocean. There's nothing like a daddy and his daughter....way to be patient...as R will tell you, someday Daddy can do no wrong!
Wow.... I can not imagine getting an allergic reaction in China!!! I, as well as my entire family are severely allergic...hubby will go alone to pick up our girl with his Dad for that very reason. I am glad you are ok!!!! Thank God!!!!! I carry on me, even in the states, an epi-pen, 2 inhalers, 2-3 allergy meds, Benedryl itch cream, antihistamine eye drops, and nasal spray-all this for allergies.... But I can not take Benedryl unless it is serious because of my high heart rate. My dear hubby is severely allergic but intends to take Benedryl the entire time there... While it was super scary hearing what happened to you...it further confirms it is better for the rest of us to stay home. So....so relieved to hear you are ok but God has looked out for you this whole time....can't wait to hear more about your wonderful family!
Lisa, Ed, Brandon, Justin and soon to be, Leah
Post a Comment