We started our day with breakfast buffet in our hotel. Among our choices are bacon, french toast, fried rice, watermelon, sausage, fish (?), steamed veggies, cereals, a variety of breads/pastries, and a variety of oatmeal type things. Breakfast will be our go-to meal in China. It's included in our hotel stay so we load up - and load up we did.
Our guide Rocky picked us up at 8:30 and we headed to New Day. It's about an hour's ride and we saw a lot of the city on the way. It reminds me of parts of New York City. However, there are so many cyclists from the very young to the very old, none of them wearing helmets, and this traffic and driving habits remind me more of a stunt show than a city. We were so close to some other drivers we could have kissed. For real. We didn't, though.
We arrived at New Day smiling ear to ear, unloaded the very large and heavy suitcase of supplies and made our way to the office, Grace was still at the hospital, as I mentioned before and was scheduled return this afternoon. Our time was limited but we were able to take a tour, meet some exceptional people and see a few familiar faces.
This little one is as adorable in person as she is online. They were just coming in from outside but a couple times we caught her eye. We exchanged waves, blew kisses, and played a little peek a boo. I wish I could explain who we were and why we were smiling and giggling and swooning over her. Maybe someday...
Then in came this little darling. She only had eyes for Robert. Ran straight to him without hesitating hugged him and hugged him some more. Then she hugged him again. And again. What a sweerheart.
We had a chance to connect with two very special ladies in Grace's life. I call this one "mamas in the middle".
This precious boy wanted to take a picture with me to show his "soon to be coming for him forever family." He didn't mind that we interrupted snack time. He was all smiles when I told him that his mama and I were friends.
Does this swing look familiar? Our little dumpling girl loves this swing and sat on it with her little "boyfriend once upon a time. We had to see what it was like. This swing is part of a beautiful courtyard/playground/garden where the children play. It is such a serene place tucked away from very busy Beijing.
Our time at New Day was limited because we needed to leave before Grace arrived. I wish we could have spent days there. We saw and did what was absolutely necessary, peeked in on as many kiddos as we could and giggled our way around. It seriously was like seeing celebrities. We each just beamed. I can only imagine what Monday will be like when we see Grace. I may need to pre-medicate. We gave supplies that were donated with love, and gifts to friends we've made along the way. It was so good to be there. I hope it's not our last time at New Day. I have a feeling we will be back one day...
After we left we had about a 30 minute drive to a local restaurant that Rocky loves. We were hungry and we ate our weight in dumplings. They were so yummy.
Thankfully we just had to point to a picture and Rocky made some suggestions. All of us except one who is left handed has mastered chopsticks. The rest laugh at the weak attempts by this poor inept soul who shamefully asks for a fork.Sigh.
After lunch we headed to a HuTong tour. This a 1-square-mile of conservation property in Beijing with a river running through it. 300 year old homes on display and we traveled in a way we've never traveled before
In the middle of the HuTong tour we met a calligrapher who made our last name in Chinese character.
Look closely at the third character... It's the character for Grace. Our third child.
Coincidence? I think not.
After that it was off to a tea shop and tea ceremony. We sampled and learned about 5 different kinds of tea. There was a little tea temperature tester shaped like a little boy. Guess what he does when the water is hot enough? Let's just say Jake loved it and we all had a good laugh. We may have brought one home.
We ended our day at the Chinese acrobat show. It was fantastic!
After the show was over, exhaustion set in. We sorta "hit a wall" about 6:30/7:00 so far. Hopefully tomorrow we will be better adjusted to the time and have more energy.We are planning to see the Olympic village, the Great Wall, and then a Kung Fu show. Sunday we will rest up before the big day.
We found out this evening that "Air China" will not let us carry the oxygen machine/batteries. Rocky is negotiating on our behalf and has all of the info about Grace to make a case for us. Please pray that we don't have any problems. Grace is doing well but we really need that for the plane ride home especially - it's so long. We are too tired to worry about it - so perhaps that's a good thing. We know who goes before us and nothing is impossible for Him.
Thank you for praying for us and encouraging us! We are doing well and enjoying our time soaking up China. A good night's sleep will make for a great Saturday!














3 comments:
Hi Amy! I'm delurking now as I've been following your journey to Grace. How exciting for you to be able to visit New Day and see the people who took care of Grace. She is a special little girl and is getting an amazing family. I feel a special connection to New Day, but I'm not sure yet what it means for us. I'm so glad you are blogging your trip so we can follow along! Prayers for safe travels, a smooth gotcha day and for Graces health!
best.post.yet....
Thank you for sharing your story with us!
We will continue to pray for Grace,as she experiences this huge,life changing event with you!
Post a Comment